Note: these observations were made in Chicago and the surrounding area. I do not intend to generalize for the entire nation, I recognize that it is too large for such oversimplifications (but that this does not stop others from constantly stereotyping the entire U.S.).
1. The Air-con is on way too high. Why do I have to dress in winter clothes to go buy groceries?
2. There are more fat people. I don't mean that everyone is generally fatter, but there are more very fat people amongst normal people than I've seen on my travels.
3. Welcome back to Real traffic. When the people of Vilnius or Kiev complain about their high traffic, I laugh at their naivete.
4. We have actual turnstiles at the metro--absolutely no temptation to ride free and hope one doesn't run into a controller. Less stress.
So I am in Naper-thrill at the moment, and we have relatives visiting from Russia and from Israel. It is relaxing to be in one place for more than 5 days. Nonetheless, I am ready to go to LA because I feel like there is so much I have to do there--settle into the new flat, furnish it, basically feel like I have a home. But it is nice to see and spend time with family and relatives, and it's also nice to see my cat, even if he is as fat as a pillow these days. Don't worry parents, siblings and grandparents, even if I pine for SoCal I love and miss you very much.
Friday, August 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
From all the cities in the world, from all the countries you visited, the only one you missed to post comments about is your birthplace -Kiev, Ukraine.
i fully intend to. i still have to write about switzerland, croatia and kiev. my mind must ruminate. stop being jealous.
Post a Comment