Thursday, March 13, 2008

Regarding oscars and water

Warning: for those who don't like to hear opinions before they've seen a movie, skip the next paragraph. There are no spoilers, just my thoughts.
I just watched No Country for Old Men. I love the Coen Brothers, particularly Fargo and Big Lebowski, and this was fine...but Oscar-worthy? Really? I mean, I know I didn't closely follow the contenders this past year while I was holed up in the basement of the Leventhal Accounting Library, but was the crop that small? Javier Bardem is phenomenal, absolutely evil and menacing and I am fearing nightmares (also--his hair????! oh jeez. and his voice, so creepy), but apart from his performance I can't see that anything was so particularly spectacular in this production. I am not saying that it was not good, I enjoyed it, but I just don't feel that it was THAT good to merit Best Picture. I guess the selection really was sparse this year.
Just my opinion kids. We can agree to disagree.

I finally tracked down a Budapest-club song that I know you will all be so enriched by and glad that I can share with you ;-P
Yves Larock 'Rise Up'

Ok, I just checked the Oscar website and yes, this year's choices were...dry to say the least. Even Michael Clayton and In the Valley of Elah (both of which were from Samuels Media where I first interned, so on that note....Woot! to being oscar-nominees!) seem soooo boring, although I am sure that they are excellent films. They're just too serious while lacking that certain magic.

I came across this article on U.S. drinking water the other day. Unfortunate. It also prompted me to ask my Corporate Environmental Management profs if they knew what the makeup of Budapest's water is and according to Milton, the scottish adjunct prof:
"Budapest water is really good actually, as it is not 'recycled' like the water of London (7 times, I have heard :) or L.A. Bp water comes from limestone reservoirs deep under Margit Sziget and further north, so it's quite mature and naturally well filtered before its taken out and drunk by the people of Bp. It's probably much cleaner water than most people ever drink, and much better than most bottled water."
Nice to hear, but the minerals are still making my hands as dry as the crust on a fresh-baked loaf of bread!

2 comments:

Dan St. John said...

Drainage! Drainage! This is my plug for There Will Be Blood. And Daniel Day Lewis. I thoroughly enjoyed. I would also recommend La Vie En Rose; the main actress won best actress and she really deserved it. But the movie is in French, and has some awesomely beautiful songs.

Anonymous said...

I liked old country quite a bit. And... isn't this a bit late talking about it? What didn't you like about it?

And that song, what the hell?

This is Nate btw.