Sunday, February 17, 2008

Regarding space

So after years of living with my family, and then 2.5 years with the coolest roommates in LA, I find that I have had extremely good fortune with my living arrangements to date. Removing myself from those situations, initially on the Prague-Israel trip and now in Budapest, I have had the opportunity for introspection and I find that I really NEED SPACE. I cannot be with someone ALWAYS; I need to be free to do my own thing without always answering to someone's queries of 'where were you' or agreeing to their brazen statements that they will accompany me to wherever I go. I am simply not used to having the same person always near me and am used to having friends in different circles. Even with my closest friends, we are not together constantly and I think we all have this sense of independence and need for a bit of separation--for which, I thank you sincerely!
So what I am getting at: someone here--in fact--right in this very flat, does not understand this concept. The situation is becoming dire and I am this close to having a very awkward conversation. Truly, I don't quite know how to go about it because I have no desire to sever any connections...but this is just too much. I mean, I am all for inviting everyone along, etc., but bliiiiiiiiiiiiin, do we have to do everything together?! Last night I simply couldn't take it and engaged in Operation Sneak Out.
Some of you may call me cold for this attitude, but so be it. I have come to terms with my need for space and one way or another, I will get it. Hopefully without burning any bridges.
Oh, I did already have the rather awkward conversation about not-sharing food. Generally, I am all for cooking with someone and so on, but that someone has to be a. able to cook themselves and not merely propose "oh, do you want to cook for us both?", and b. ok with eating more than just hot dogs+pasta (and not express shock upon seeing green beans, broccoli, soy sauce, calzones, etc. for the first time). In other words, I refuse to be her cook. In reference to my earlier comments--I am not at all averse to teaching someone how to cook, but they have to have some semblance of a desire to learn, which I see no evidence of.

Whew. That was a load off. I apologize for the general complaining-tone of this post.
In other news: we went to Pink Cadillac, an italian restaurant on Raday utca, in a group of 16 or 17 erasmus students...and boy, were we international. Representing were: Italy, France, Netherlands, Canada, Russia, and Germany. Later in the night, after another stop at the ever-classic Szimpla, we went to Szoda Cafe. This place was so perfect for the night: upstairs, a regular bar; downstairs, instead of the usual 'cellar' it was what I can only call a 'bunker.' At the very end of the bunker was a teensy dance floor, and the playlist was exclusively 80's and 90's, and not just the standards like Billie Jean or Ice Ice Baby but songs that I truly haven't heard since they were first on the radio. Great fun!
Saturday, 5 of us girls went to Rudas Baths. Like Kiraly, these are turkish with a main central pool underneath a dome with multi-colored skylights or holes. However, it's bigger, nicer and on weekends it's mixed. They also throw parties at weekend nights--(who's with me?!). I could really get used to the bathing lifestyle, if only I could afford it. But now that I have seen all the ones I've wanted to, I'm holding off until someone comes to visit me.
It's been bloooooody freezing these last few days. And of all the times to go flat-hopping, we chose last night. Utterly bundled up, cradling our bottles of wine, we went around town from Ferenciek tere to Ferenc Korut for a polish vodka tasting party (haha) to Blaha Luzha for a flat party.
Oh, I must say, many of the apartment buildings here (not mine) are incredibly stately and also damn creepy. At night, the hallways are completely unlit unless you happen to find the button on the wall, and they have the wrought iron-lattice work rails to the staircases. There are also the old elevators with the outer and inner doors. Once you get into the apartment----ooooh la la, they are very nice! High ceilings, big windows, parquet(sp?) floors. Tis nice, very very nice.

Assorted Miscellanea:
1. Our flat operates entirely without paper towels. Good for the environment, bad for whatever object is nearby when I eat an orange.
2. In case you're not on facebook, I have uploaded photos to http://picasaweb.google.com/Lenav09
One album is what I took, and the rest I've been stealing from my friends as my camera is still broken.
3. here's a tasty, easy marinade for chicken in case you're interested in a variation on the basic chicken legs: soy sauce + honey + olive oil + powdered ginger + powdered garlic + pepper.
4. I can understand spoken Croatian. Easier to understand than spoken polish, which they rattle off soooo fast.
5. You guys should go on skype to chat with me, or on gmail chat. I think Courtney will soon get sick of my always pestering her online. For reference: I am 9 hours ahead of LA, 7 of Chicago, 6 of New York/Florida, 1 of Edinburgh and 8 hours behind Canberra.
5. The best thing on The Office since Dwight's "where is the clitoris": (season 3, Episode A BeniHana Christmas) Michael, on his breakup with Carol-"how did you push away the bad thoughts? like maybe the real reason they left was maybe there were things they wanted you to do...in bed...that were foreign,and scary, and not that you didn't want to try them. some wine might have helped."

Hahaha.

3 comments:

LKA said...

lena, I missed you! the past 24 hours were INSANE...too insane to be put on my blog. your life sounds amazing. bonus points for Office reference. god, The Office

Dan St. John said...

You can understand Croatian? Oh my goodness, I am so jealous as I have an unnatural fascination with the country. On that note, you should visit it, particularly its coastal regions - they are pretty. And as for solving the roommate issue: this person really has no interest in learning to cook? That is odd. Cook all those delicious things and only share if they help out. I like the idea of teasing with deliciousness... but only because I'd cave and take cooking lessons.

Kate said...

You cheered me up immensely with your Office reference and I thought I'd do the same to you, plus this reminds me of our times at EWP, and how great toasted sandwiches made my day...

Dwight Schrute: Everyone. OK, I have an announcement. Apparently in business school they don’t teach you how to operate a toaster oven. Because some smart, sexy temp left his cheese pita on "oven" instead of timing it for the toaster thing. [holds up burnt pita and laughs maniacally]